As an elementary-level general education teacher, you are the person most likely to alert other professionals about a student you suspect may have a disability. For this reason, it is important that you know and understand the laws and policies that govern the process involved with special education.
This 2-part assignment provides you the opportunity to take a deep dive into the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) as well as the rights of learners and parents, and the responsibilities of teachers. Complete Parts 1 and 2 below.
Part 1: Special Education Resource
Create a 375- to 525-word informational resource that addresses the following topics in relation to special education:
- Special education process
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), to include the Child Find mandate
- Disability categories for special education eligibility
Part 2: Rights, Responsibilities, and Standards of Practice Presentation
Research the following topics in relation to special education:
- Federal and state involvement
- Legal structures that govern programs
- Laws that address learners’ and parental rights
- Teacher expectations and responsibilities
- Professional standards of practice
Create a 6- to 8-slide presentation using a presentation tool in the Technology Resource Library.
Note: The tool must be approved by your instructor.
Address the following in your presentation:
- Laws or policies related to learners’ and parental rights in special education
- Teacher expectations and responsibilities for working with students with disabilities
- Professional best practice strategies for the following:
- Advocating to meet the needs of all learners
- Promoting learners to meet full potential
- Demonstrating respect for learners as individuals with differing personal and family backgrounds and various skills, abilities, and interests
- Demonstrating collaboration with learners, families, and colleagues
Include the following elements in your presentation:
- Title or introduction slide
- Slide style that complements content
- Minimum of 2 functional components (e.g., audio clip, visual graphic, or link)